For months Texas A&M quarterback Jonny Manziel would not speak to the media. However, on Monday afternoon, he spoke to the media for the first time in an open forum answering any questions thrown his way. Here are 10 things we learned about this impressive quarterback:
1) He thinks the nickname Johnny Football is “extremely funny.” In fact, he doesn’t see himself as Johnny Football rather he sees himself as Jonathan Manziel, a small-town guy from Kerville, Texas.
2) As a high school senior, he visited TCU several times but never received an official offer.
3) When he would create a player on EA Sports NCAA football game, he would be bigger and taller to pad the stats.
4) When playing this year’s rendition of EA Sports NCAA football, he usually plays with UTSA because he has friends on the team.
5) Manziel’s father talks with John David Crow, Texas A&M’s only Heisman winner, on a regular basis.
6) Favorite video game QB—Michael Vick.
7) Favorite QBs on the field—John Elway and Doug Flutie.
8) Favorite play of the 2012 season—last TD against Alabama.
9) Considers Tyler and Kerville, Texas as his hometowns.
10) Loss against Florida actually gave him confidence that he and his team can hang in the SEC.
In the words of coach Kevin Sumlin, Manziel is a “tremendous competitor” and “tremendous leader” on-and-off the field. As the team prepares for its upcoming bowl game, the redshirt freshman could make history taking home the Heisman trophy on December 8, 2013.